strawberry-basil hand pies
All-purpose flour, for rolling
1 14-ounce package ready-to-bake pie crusts
12 Always Fresh strawberries, diced, divided
2 large basil leaves, finely chopped
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
Zest of one lemon
1 large egg, whisked with a pinch of salt
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ cup powdered sugar
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside. On a clean, floured surface, roll the dough out slightly, about ⅛-inch thick. Using a 5-inch round biscuit cutter, cut 4 disks from each piece of dough. Transfer disks to prepared pan, refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Set aside ½ cup diced berries. Using a medium bowl, combine remaining berries, basil, granulated sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest, set aside.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Brush the edge of each disk lightly with egg wash. Working with one disk at a time, spoon strawberry filling onto the center of dough, about 2 tablespoons. Fold the dough forming a half circle and pinch edges slightly to seal. Return pie to baking sheet and crimp the edges by pressing the tines of a fork around the edge of each hand pie. Repeat with remaining disks and filling. Cover the sheet pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate hand pies for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Remove the hand pies from the refrigerator and brush the tops with remaining egg wash. Using a paring knife, cut 3 small slits in the top of each pie to create steam vents. Bake until golden brown and the filling is bubbly, about 20 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool, set aside.
- Using a small saucepan over medium heat, combine reserved ½ cup diced strawberries with lemon juice and powdered sugar. Mash berries with a fork and cook until berries are soft and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and pass the strawberry icing through a fine mesh sieve placed over a small bowl, discard solids. Allow icing to cool and drizzle over hand pies.